Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ways In Which I Am Becoming My Parents.

Wow, it has been a month since I have blogged. I'm back!

I have always been told (more often than not by my own mother) to "be nice to your mother because someday you will turn into her". As a naive youth, I scoffed "No, not me! That's crazy speak!" Well I am here today to validate that this does, indeed, happen eventually, whether you want it to or not. And you might become your dad too.

Yesterday was a perfect example.

Instance #1: Background info for this story: When I was in high school, my friend and I were hanging out in our small podunk town one evening when I received this frantic call from my mother: "Are you ok!?!? I just heard an ambulance!!" Not as in "I saw you in an accident when I was driving by" or "heard someone with a car like yours had a wreck", just checking in the general sense of "I heard a siren somewhere, in some part of town and had a panic attack." Overprotective? Yes. But ultimately, I chalked it up to mom being cute and I laugh about it to this day.
Well, yesterday, before I could even realize what I was doing, I was leaving a voicemail for my friend who lives in the vacinity of a street where I was driving past and saw ambulances. You know, just to make sure she was ok. Yes, it's as silly as it sounds. She's fine by the way. May still be laughing at me though.

Instance #2: I actually proved I am turning into my father as well. Background info for this story: My dad NEVER stacks plates after a meal. NEVER. He claims that it is ridiculous to do so because then you have to wash BOTH sides of the plate. We all know much better than to ever break this cardinal rule in his presence. And while I see his point to an extent (and it makes sense in family gatherings to humor him as he is the only one that ever does the dishes), I always join in with others to lovingly mock him for his adamant stance on dishwashing techniques.
Cut to last night- I was having dinner with my boyfriend and his sister and bro-in-law, and as J offers to take my plate, I actually grimaced as the bottom of my plate grazed the top of his. He has been warned how my father is about this, so he knew exactly where the look came from, and therefore I was immediately mocked. Apparently this is one habit that will forever be ingrained in my psyche. So take note: apparently there will be no stacking of plates in MY presence now.

My parents are great, so hooray I am turning into them and not, say, Paris Hilton. But still. Tis creepy.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, I've never heard that ambulance story before. HILARIOUS.

    And I TOTALLY stack plates. All the time. But I think about Dad when I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do see your father's point, but I wash both sides of the plate anyway - so it's not like it would make less work for me. Also, when I get a new dishwasher that works more like a dishwasher and less like a sanitizer, it will do all that work for me anyway.

    And yeah - I see myself turning into my mother - it's kind of scary when the annoying traits show up.

    ReplyDelete