Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Those Were the Days...

Hello. I just watched another episode of "Lost" and am so confused, I thought I would write a blog post about something completely opposite so my head doesn't explode.

I went to my college town this past weekend for the first time since October and walked around campus for probably the first time since I graduated in 2006. Every time I go back, it's like a flashback to all those amazing college experiences I accumulated over 4 years. As dumb as it sounds, every street reminds me of something, and stupid things like a sign for the "Pie R Squared" cafe triggers memories I haven't thought about in forever. I am making it sound like I have been out of college for 50 years, I know. But hey, time flies when you go to the same job day in and day out. I am creeping up on 4 years of post-graduate status and I already look back on college as this distant and perfect arrangement that I totally took for granted. I mean, I went to class MAYBE for 3 to 5 hours a day tops, and I slept in when I wanted, took naps when I wanted, ate when I wanted, studied when I wanted, went out when I wanted, talked to who I wanted, acted like an idiot when I wanted... Yes, yes, I am an adult and can do all of those things now, but can I do them without the responsibility of maintaining a 40 hour a week job? Or without the pressure of having to make rent or save money for my future? Or without worrying that I am never going to have a real career? No. College is important. You're getting an education that dictates the path you will take. But it is also the last simple, irresponsible 4 years of your life. Wow, that sentence sounded so final and depressing. Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly happy with my life and have a great time. But college. You were over in a flash. Before I even realized how awesome and easy you were.

Aaaaaand.....

Time to go to bed at 10 PM so I am not a walking zombie for my full-time job in the morning.

To end on a high note, I have joined the crazies. Follow me on twitter if you like: @sheridanrenee.

4 comments:

  1. wait, where does that connect with Lost?

    and p.s. you forgot to mention how AWESOME it is to be FREEEE from parental controls post-college!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't! See: first paragraph.

    It IS awesome to be self-sufficient! Upon re-reading this post I made it sound like I would rather be in college, which I would not. I was just trying to make the point that life was a lot easier back then when mom and dad helped pay for things and the only responsibilities were to go to class and study. !! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing that always bugged me about pie R squared? hey didn't serve pie, even though the very name made me hungry for it.

    I know better understand the phrase "youth the wasted on the young."

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN Kristine. And I think they should have served Pie too. It only makes sense.

    ReplyDelete