Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Greetings From Washington D.C.

I went to Washington D.C.!! It was awesome! Proof below:


Emily refuses to follow instructions.

Tulips from the Netherlands!

The Iwo Jima Memorial. Love that quote.


Arlington Cemetary. Probably one of the most sobering experiences of my life.

My lame attempt at an artsy Cherry Blossoms photo.

Very moving to witness someone praying near the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

If you look closely, you will find Sheridan Street on the map. This woman next to me when I took the picture started joking with me about how I must be related to General Sheridan. It was strange, but she was old and cute & it turned out to be the most sarcastic/hilarious conversation I have ever had with a stranger.

Yay Shutsy! Unfortunate name, cool quote.

People wrote messages at the Women's Memorial @ Arlington Cemetary. He wants to be a Marine! Love it.

Oscar the Grouch and the Puffy Sleeved Shirt from Seinfield @ the American History Museum.

I attempted (and failed at) the "Look how tiny the Linclon Memorial is! I can hold it in my hand!" photo op. In mine and Emily's defense, it was very sunny & people were starting to stare.
So, so very true.

Georgetown is adorable.
The White House. Or, according to that unfortunate child we ran across, "Obama's House".

At the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. Truly was incredible.

Hard to capture the beauty/meaning of the Vietnam Memorial. A moving experience to say the least.

So sassy. Half of the Washington Monument in background.

Curious caravan of Bike Cops crosses Constitution. (Alliteration!)

Emily attends George Washington's old church! How cool is that?

The Holocaust Museum was incredible, but hard to take in. Definitely something everyone should see.

Sky Mall: fun useless crap you would never have imagined existed/hours of fun on the airplane trip home. I wonder if this works.
Endless thanks to my wonderful friend Emily for hosting/facilitating this wonderful trip to our Nation's capital! If you haven't been, I highly recommend it. I may be a patriotic cheeseball, but I love me some America.

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures...I'm starting to get excited about our upcoming move there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO GLAD you had a good trip! You hit all the must-see spots...well done, Grasshopper. I was just there 4 weeks ago and I already wanna go back! It's a fabulous city, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! fabulous post. And there are some artsy photos in there too!! I'm so, so happy you had a good time. I heard the plane ride home was not fun, but i'm glad the rain was in texas and not here while y'all were in DC! Can you please send me the pic of us in front of the lincoln memorial? It's super cute! So glad it worked out. Come back ANY time!!! So great to have y'all here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to D.C. since high school...oh, I have so many places I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the blog! YES!!! I feel special now!

    ReplyDelete