Monday, March 23, 2009

Bluebonnets: No Longer Just Eye Candy

Here's a neat tidbit for you: apparently picking bluebonnets in Texas is NOT illegal. It's possible you already knew this and are now laughing at my expense. But I have been living under the false assumption for my whole life that it is a crime to pick the sacred Texas flower, punishable by a ticket (OR DEATH). I guess it was just a rumor someone started to keep the kids out of their bluebonnet patch, I don't know. But I feel like I have heard this so many places, from so many people that there is no way it could not be true. It's like my walls are crashing in on me. The moral code I have lived by for years has immediately been turned on its head. Suddenly I feel compelled to go pick a bluebonnet, JUST BECAUSE I CAN.


Also, I bought a couch!! I am very excited to be getting nice, new furniture (not passed down from 20 previous owners) like a true adult. I feel like I am finally leaving the "college student" stage of life- having roommates, hand me downs, crazy spastic sleeping schedules and such. Yes folks, I have reached that point where household objects make me squeal- "Couch! I have a couch!". I have not yet decided if this is super exciting or incredibly scary.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a lifelong Texan and heard on the radio today that picking bluebonnets isn't illegal, so you aren't the only one who thought that was true -- you're probably right it was someone who wanted to keep their flowers. Of course, the DJ did note that there are still trespassing laws, so don't go on private land and for GOD'S SAKE - don't pull off the side of a busy highway to do it.

    Reaching the stage where furniture, landscaping, etc. makes you giddy is strange but fun! and you do realize you're truly a grownup...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally though it was illegal too! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I only found out about the bluebonnet rules (or rather, LACK of rules) a few years ago. I always thought it was illegal too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was illegal myself. I wonder why we all thought that. Maybe it was at some point? I am also under the impression that killing a mockingbird is on par with murdering a human. Is that a misconception also? Hmm.

    And a new couch is very exciting. I can't wait to see your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn, after reading the title of this post, I was hoping it would involve a recipe for some sort of bluebonnet candy. Guess I'll just have to make one myself.

    "I am also under the impression that killing a mockingbird is on par with murdering a human."

    That would depend greatly on the human in question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still really love the adult phase of my life. I think I have finally reached a point where all of my furniture was PURCHASED. Actually. NO. Chair from sister, bookshelf from mom and dad and dresser from friend. Disregard. Still not a grown-up.

    ReplyDelete