Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Project Eat Better: Day One.

I have decided to take control of my life and cut out (or at least cut down) on the fried foods and sweets/snacks that I have so happily thrived on for the past 25 years (or more accurately, ever since I moved out of mom & dad's house and was forced to forage for my own food). I went to HEB and stocked up on fruits, veggies, granola, and anything my "nutritionist" (aka my friend who eats healthy) said I should eat. I shall call this "Project Eat Better" and I intend to really stick to a strict diet for at least 2 weeks straight. I feel one of two things will happen:

a) I start feeling better, have more energy, break my nasty eating habits and continue to eat healthier on a regular basis
b) I lose will power, crack, and continue to subsist off of grease, fat and chocolate.

Either way I win??

My journey begins:

Tuesday 5/26, 1:20 PM. It's been 5 hours. All I want is a Nutty Bar. I am lucky I had to work through 30 minutes of lunch today, forcing me to stay at the office. If I had gone home, I think I would have convinced myself to go ahead and eat those 4 Nutty Bars on the premise that this one time, it wouldn't hurt anything. I can hear myself now: "Sheridan, you ate strawberries and pineapple this morning. And there was lettuce on your food at lunch. Go ahead, eat the crap out of that chocolate. It's your reward. You almost NEED to in order to offset the fruit. It will taste so good and you will be so happy. EAT IT." I don't normally talk to myself in the third person. Or outloud. Oh crap. I just found a box of Nutty Bars in my desk drawer at work. Stay strong. You are only wanting to eat them out of boredom. And because of their peanut buttery, milk chocolatey, melt in your mouth goodness.... Nutty Bars are evil. Banana. Banana is good. Must eat.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your plan, I hope it goes better than mine does...every week when I start over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with your plan, i put this suggestion on your sister's blog but figured I could just put it here.

    You should look at Hungry Girl (http://wiww.hungry-girl.com/), she takes real food and makes it better for you. I haven’t tried coating stuff with Fiber One to make it seem like its fried, but what I have had is pretty good: my favorite so far, pizzas made on english muffins

    ReplyDelete
  3. fave phrase: "eat the crap out of that chocolate."

    way to go, sher!!

    word to the wise: it's better to focus on what you CAN eat (berries, nuts, whole grains, water (yay!), fruits, veggies (make an itemized list).... than to focus on the few-ish things you're better off without. the more i focus on how much i want a massive pizza, the more i crave it..... etc. etc.

    can i be your deputy nutritionist??

    ReplyDelete